|By M. Kelly|
|By M. Kelly|
The Ultimate Vegan Banana Bread
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup of unsweetened, unflavoured non-dairy milk
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, 1 cup spelt (alternatively, use white or gluten free)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pumpkin seeds (plus a tbsp for topping)
- 2/3 cup chopped and pitted datesClues:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Dig out a loaf pan and grease it with any vegan butter you have on hand. Alternatively, feel free to use coconut oil or even regular butter, if you aren’t avoiding animal products.2. Chop dates, almonds and pumpkin seeds roughly but thoroughly.3. Mash bananas until they turn into a lovely gooey paste and place into a large bowl. Whisk in milk.4. Stir in baking powder and baking soda.5. Stir in flour, baking soda, and baking powder.6. Finally, add dates, almonds, and seeds. Stir once or twice to combine, but don’t overdo it!7. Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and slide it into the oven.8. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is a gorgeous golden brown and springyTIPS!
- if you only have two bananas, feel free to replace one with 1/3 cup of olive oil
- flours are pretty variable here, just be careful not to use all regular whole wheat (it'll be hella dense) - though all whole wheat pastry flour is okay, as it's lighter- these could also be slipped into a muffin tin and turned into lil muffins! Or mini muffins!
- the add-ins are totally up for interpretation; add hazelnuts and chocolate chips for something a little more decadent, sunflower seeds to replace almonds for a nut-free bread, etc, etc.